Grizzly 2017 - Pearl's a Stinger
Race information sheet now available
Detailed information for the 2017 race is now available by following the link on the left hand side of this page. Please pay particular attention to the following:
- All EDDC car parks offer a £2 all day winter rate (for Grizzly day on Sunday 12th March this is available from 9am, as long as you pay at the machine and not by mobile phone).
- The course map is now available (we are following the same route as last year), but please DO NOT train on any private land used by the Grizzly unless you have permission to do so.
- As well as details about the race itself and the timetable for the weekend, you will also find information about the junior Grizfest races on the Saturday, the ever popular Grizquiz on the Saturday evening and the race video being filmed as part of the 30th anniversary celebrations.
Keep up with your training and see you in March!
The 30th Anniversary race! Donations raised in that period = £335K
The Grizfest entry form is here. A couple of points to note:
- You do not need to send an SAE - all numbers are to be collected on the day.
- While you can't enter online, you can email your entry to us, either a scan of the completed form or just the information requested (including disclaimer), and pay when you collect your number. We hope this will encourage more of you to enter in advance without having to pay up-front - a few not turning up is worth the reduced keypunching we have to do on the day, not to mention shorter queues for you.
- Entry on the day £5; Pre-registered entry £5 for one, or £9 for two family members, or £12 for three or more family members.
Race numbers - now mailed
We have now mailed all of the race numbers. You are still able to change runner details and pass on your place to new runners, but from now, registered runners will be responsible for getting their race number to the new runner. If you want to change race from now, we also want to know in advance, but you will have to pick up a new number on the day.
Change of Details or Runner
If you want to transfer your Grizzly/Cub place to another runner or notify us of any change to your details, then you must complete the Change Form . For change of runner, the form is normally completed by the 'new' runner, but please ensure that the name of the 'old' runner is the name of the person the place actually belongs to and not some go between, as this confuses us and causes extra work!
Entry for 2017 race has now closed
The draw has now taken place and everyone has been notified of their outcome by email one way or the other, provided you have given a valid email address. If you have not heard from us by now, then you should first check your spam folder, as we have had a number of emails end up there in the past. Failing that, you should send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Those who unfortunately did not get a place in the ballot will be refunded by the end of September according to their payment method. We do not operate a waiting list for those who were unsuccessful or who did not enter before the closing deadline.
Note that for those who have been successful in getting a place in the ballot, we do not give refunds or deferrals to the following year. We do however allow you to transfer your place to another runner, subject to conditions. Our policy on transfers, refunds, deferrals etc is specified in the Policy tab.
Full race info for 2017 will be posted early next year. An accommodation list has also now been uploaded (see link in top left hand corner of this page). The course will be almost identical to 2016's – starting on Seaton seafront, a bit under 20 miles (9 miles for the Cub run), tough, hilly, some cliff paths with drops to the side, both mud and water potentially up to waist deep but nearly a third tarmac.
Details and Entry Forms for the junior races on Saturday 11th March will be available here is due course, probably in October/November time.
2017 race film
As part of the 30th Anniversary celebrations, we will be producing a film of the 2017 Grizzly race which will be available for purchase by runners. As a taster of what to expect, below is a link to a short teaser for the 2012 race, the last time that a film of the race was produced. Further details on how to purchase a copy of the 2017 race film will follow. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JxNM6e0Vo40
Please note that if you do not wish to be photographed or videoed by official race cameramen during the Grizzly and Cub races, please contact Tony Smith by Friday 3rd March 2017.
What it's all about
Twentyish muddy, hilly, boggy, beachy miles of the multiest-terrain running experience you will find this side of the end of time. It's by no means the toughest race around (honestly!), has changed over the years and nearly died on a few occasions, but hundreds of you keep coming back for more so we must still be getting it right. Whatever it isn't, it is an experience.
I have run in a few races but have never been in a race that manages to create physical challenge whilst taking a sideways glance at running, allowing all involved to emerge with a crooked grin on their face! - A Grizzly runner.
All it takes is all you've got.