The Grizzly 2014
(Featuring Heath and Cliff!)
Grizfest 10:00-16:30 on Saturday 8th March
Grizzly at 10:30 on Sunday 9th March
Held under ARC rules (permits 14/47 Grizzly and 14/48 Grizfest).
Grizzly & Cub entries are closed.
Don't bother asking us if there any places are available
(there aren't) or if we have a waiting list (we don't).
Recent weather: While East Devon certainly hasn't escaped the recent bad weather, nothing we've seen would adversely affect the Grizzly to any great extent although there may be a couple of small route changes. Likewise, very bad weather on the day may result in the course being tweaked and/or a shorcut implemented as we've done a few times before. Please don't email us with any queries about this.
What it's all about
Twentyish muddy, hilly, boggy, beachy miles of the multiest-terrain running experience
you will find this side of the end of time. It's by no means the toughest race around (honestly!),
has changed over the years and nearly died on a few occasions, but hundreds of you keep coming back
for more so we must still be getting it right. Whatever it isn't, it is an experience.
I have run in a few races but have never been in a race that manages to create physical
challenge whilst taking a sideways glance at running, allowing all involved to emerge with a crooked grin
on their face! - A Grizzly runner
You must agree to abide by these rules in order to enter, or to accept a place from someone else:
- You understand that participating in this event is potentially hazardous and that you should not participate unless you are medically and physically fit to do so.
- If you have entered another person you have their permission to do so and their agreement to these rules.
- If you wish to subsequently transfer your place in the event to someone else you will obtain their agreement to these conditions before agreeing with them to do so and either you or the new holder will advise us of the new runner's full details. On race day this must be done at the info desk in Race HQ, preferably before 10am. You will not resell your place for more than you paid for it.
- If you report a number as missing and obtain a replacement you should destroy the former if you subsequently find it. You must not use a number once it is reported as missing.
- You agree to abide by the trail running rules of the Association of Running Clubs as published on their website runningclubs.org.uk.
- You agree to behave in a reasonable manner to the promoters, organisers, competitors and other persons associated with the event.
- You accept that this event is a running race and agree to accept any decision marshals or medical personnel may make to direct you on a shortcut or withdraw you from the race.
- You agree to not wilfully drop litter on pain of potential disqualification.
- You agree to carefully read the race information which will be made available a few weeks before the event.
- You will not hold the promoters, organisers or other persons associated with the event responsible for any loss or injury incurred as a result of your participation in, or travel to or from, the event.
- You will not embark on the course before the official race start.
- You will not set foot on any private land used by the Grizzly in various years other than during the race itself or with explicit permission, on pain of potential banning The Grizzly.
- You accept that no refunds or deferrals will be offered under any circumstances other than the cancellation or postponement of the event.
- Dogs and walking poles are banned from the race.
- You are advised not to wear earphones or headphones.
Our policy on places, transfers, refunds, etc.
We sometimes receive complaints that we should give Grizzly regulars priority when entries open. We have also received complaints that we should give newcomers priority. We clearly can't please both bodies of runners. Our policy is simple: no one gets priority.
If you are looking for a place in the Grizzly once entries close or have a place but can't use it then I'm afraid that we can't help much.
- Congestion on the course and limited parking in Seaton limit the numbers we can handle but we accept more entries on the basis that a few hundred won't turn up.
- We therefore don't have a waiting list, don't put runners with a place in touch with those looking
for one or vice versa, and don't suggest how you can go about finding or selling a place.
- However, we are happy for runners to arrange transfers between themselves as long as we're told of the change
for which purpose you can use the change of runner form for which there will be a link above by the end of October.
We prefer that to phoning them since it's less prone to potential error and far less intrusive on our personal lives.
- We do not offer refunds or deferrals under any circumstances other than the cancellation or postponement of the event, and then possibly only partial if we have incurred significant costs.
- There is no need to tell us if you won't be able to make it although doing so before the numbers are sent
will obviously save us some postage and reduce waste. You would still be able to transfer your number to
someone else since we keep a record of all entries.
- We could obviously accept fewer entries up-front and operate a waiting list but:
- Managing this would add significantly to our already high workload.
- Many people want to know in September if they've got in so they can book accommodation (which is limited).
- Please don't be tempted to run the race without having a place. It's not fair on those who accept the situation,
and anyone found doing could be disqualified and even banned from our events.
Axe Valley Runners would like to thank these organisations
for supporting Grizzly 2014, Withering Heights ...
Supporting The Grizzly
Race numbers and banners
Seaton Town Council, supporting the Grizzly
Fyffes Bananas, nutritional supplier
Tesco Seaton, car parking and bottled water
Quicks Engineering, race trophies
Seaton's Fish Bar, marshal bibs
SAK Logistics, van hire
Harris Lets, race number postage
Photography will this year be
provided by photo-fit.net
The Grizzly is featured in two articles in the anthology
The Best of the Fells.
There's lots to read on our writing page (including the infamous songs and poems)
and on LMRB's website.
This is just a small selection of what's out there ...
There are a few Grizzly vids on You Tube which you can search for but these are some of the best. The last link is a short piece from the local news.
Replay the race
You can follow some runners' progress on an aerial view at RunReplay.com:
If you ran with a GPS and still have the data you can upload it and follow your own progress as well.
Some of the hashes on the site make particularly fascinating viewing with all their false trails.
With charitable donations and t-shirt colours as far as we can recall. (Many people seem to identify each year's race by the shirt rather than the name!)
|Year ||Donations ||Shirt colour ||Name
|1988 ||? ||No shirt ||Unnamed
|1989 ||? ||No shirt ||Torment Ten
|1990 ||? ||? ||Grizzly 12
|1991 ||? ||Green ||Hillocks and Rowlocks
|1992 ||? ||Light blue ||Eye of the Storm
|1993 ||? ||White ||Sting of the Butterfly
|1994 ||? ||Light grey ||Magical Memory Jog
|1995 ||? ||Dark blue ||The Nightmare Returns
|1996 ||? ||Yellow ||Revenge of the Lemmings
|1997 || £1K ||Royal blue ||Apocalypse, Yes!
|1998 || £3K ||Grey ||Flight of Fancy
|1999 || £4K ||Black ||Insanity and In Health
|2000 || £9K ||Dark maroon ||Another Brick in the Wall
|2001 || £9K ||Tan ||A Race Oddity
|2002 || £9K ||Yellow ||The Joker in the Pack
|2003 || £9K ||Purple ||The Jurassic Jaunt
|2004 || £15K ||Dark blue ||Infinity and Beyond
|2005 || £17K ||Off white ||One Thousand Steps For Mankind
|2006 || £18K ||Red ||O'Limpiyak Dilemma
|2007 || £23K ||Light green ||Armageddon NowHere
|2008 || £15K ||Dark green ||Armageddon Again
|2009 || £29K ||Black ||Trails And Tribulations
|2010 || £18K
||Pink ||Beauty and the Beach
|2011 || £22K ||Tan ||Valley of the Bogs
|2012 || £42K
||Royal blue ||Every Hill Has A Silver Lining
|2013 || £30K ||Orange ||Grime And Punishment
|2014 || ||Wait and see! ||Withering Heights
| || £273K || ||Grand total